Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Macklemore Challenge

So I'm 2015 Josh and I have to make some big changes. The situation is not a forever thing, but nevertheless it will require major shifts in our daily lives and habits.

I have been going over everything to see what can be done, and what changes could be made to help out.

I then recalled reading a blog from a few years ago about another young lady who not only was looking to conserve a few dollars but also wanted to recycle/reuse as much as possible. She committed to buying pre-owned and 2nd hand for a year. I have always considered this challenge, and felt this may be the best time to do it.

So ... starting January 5th (I like starting things on Mondays), I am going to commit to my modified version of the thrift shop challenge. Hence the title ... The Macklemore Challenge.  I want to do it for 6 months ... and if I've done well, I'll extend it out!

It is a good thing for anyone who is looking to cut back, not add waste and such to the environment, and just is looking for the adventure of shopping 2nd hand!

Personally I love garage sales, Craigslist,  thrift shops, you name it! But now it's time to take it up a level.  Plus it will help my husband and I achieve our big goal!

Here are the ground rules I'm laying out for myself:

1) This applies to everything that is not food: clothes, furniture, cookware, toys.

2) Items can be purchased from just about anywhere considered 2nd hand: Online swap groups, thrift stores, garage sales, consignment shops and fairs, swap meets.

3) There are exclusions of what could be bought brand new:
a) Undergarments (this includes socks)
b) Swim wear
c) Athletic wear (Sorry I am not buying workout pants 2nd hand ... I know how much I sweat ... ew)
d) Hygiene items (Toothbrushes, Brushes, Etc)
e) Birthday presents (Although I will try to adhere to the challenge for people's birthdays it's not always going to be possible as sometimes certain items are requested)
f) Plastic ware (for the kitchen ... like sippy cups)
g) Sandals and athletic shoes (items like boots, heels,  etc. are apart of the challenge).

4) When I hit goal weight and maintain it for longer than 6 weeks (to ensure my body wants to stay there), I am allowed to go buy new clothes. (I am throwing this exception in there in the event it occurs during this 6 month challenge).

5) Items for upkeep of the home should be attempted to get at stores like Habitat For Humanity.  But if necessary for the house to function and a 2nd hand alternative is not found then being purchased new is okay.

It's actually pretty simple on paper,  and I'm excited to get creative (especially as my wardrobe keeps shrinking). I still have a lot of clothes to go through in the garage but in about 40 lbs I know I'll need to go shopping.

The Macklemore Challenge should help keep us on track, and curb any impulse shopping!  :-)

Let me know in the comments if you're a big 2nd hand shopping fan. Where do you find the best deals?

Thank you for reading!
Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment