Thursday, October 2, 2014

Breast Cancer Awareness Month - And (one big reason) Why I Relay ...

1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.


Breast Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.

Breast Cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.

Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more that 40,000 will die.
(That's 18% or about 1 in 5 diagnosed)
(source)


October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
For me, Breast Cancer Awareness is something I try to keep on the forefront year round.

All cancer is scary.  All cancer is bad.
For me, Breast Cancer has almost claimed the lives of two of my most favorite people.
My Aunt Tanda, and My Close Friend Dawn.

Each has their own stories - their own journeys and battles.  Both are survivors,  and I am so grateful for that.

Breast Cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide (source), so I am thankful that there is so much awareness surrounding it to help better educate women (and men).  Some may think it's a little overboard, but I think there can never be too much exposure for cancer and anything you can do to help prevent/cure it.

There are two big things I always tell people though about this month:

1) You are never too young to do a boob check!

Whether you go get your boobs pancaked in a monogram or you do an at home check, do it!  Early detection is key!!  Especially if you have a history of cancer in your family, get checked out!
According to The American Cancer Society, women 40 and over should have annual mammograms.  And women in their 20/30's should have a clinical breast exam every 3 years (source).  I do it about once a month, in the shower - and have them check at my annual appointment every year.  I never want to get the "it will never happen to me" mentality - so I check often (along with my skin for Melanoma - but that's another blog post for another day).

Here are some great sites to check out to perform a check at home:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/32094-check-yourself-breast-cancer/
http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/guide/breast-self-exam

Ask your primary physician about scheduling a mammogram if you are 40 or over.  Or you can contact Planned Parenthood to see about scheduling a mammogram (Planned Parenthood Site)

2) While all this pink merchandise is GREAT and AWESOME to raise awareness ... check the facts on where that "portion of sales" is going.

It sucks - but some companies are quick to make a buck off of breast cancer awareness.  Whenever you see a product promoting itself as giving back, check to see which charity it lists.  If a charity is not listed right on the product, do some research!  A good site to use is Charity Watch.  You can look up charities by name, or by category.I'm not saying DON'T buy that pink scarf ... just be aware of where that money is going!


Cancer Sucks.
Thankfully research is getting better, and new treatments are coming out all the time.
I have hope that my daughter will grow up, and Cancer is only going to be a Zodiac Sign.
That Cancer is nothing more than a minor infection that can be treated and removed from the body.

Too many of my family and friends have been affected by cancer.

Aunt Tanda and Dawn are incredible, strong, beautiful women that I look up to.  They have endured a chapter in their lives, that no person should have to go through.  It is because of their strength and determination to kick cancer's ass, that I Relay For Life.

This is my third year doing Relay, and while we have switched over to a new city, the mission remains the same: Celebrate.  Remember.  Fight Back.
Through Awareness and Support, I wish to lift the spirits of those who are affected by Cancer.
Through Fundraising, I wish to help fund Research and Studies and find a cure for Cancer.

Through Relay For Life - I can do all these things.
Support your local Relay For Life, or any other Cancer Cause that touches you.

Together - we can make a difference!

I dedicate this post to my Aunt Tanda, My friend Dawn, and all the other Breast Cancer patients that either have won or lost their battles.  I will keep relaying because of you <3

Thank you for reading.
Nichole
Be The Thermostat - Not The Thermometer

PS - I have set the bar high for myself this year, and want to raise $1,000 for my Relay For Life.  Anything and everything helps <3  Please donate to this amazing cause by going HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment