Thursday, October 2, 2014

"Won't you miss it?"


I have to be careful when I'm talking to people about eating something lately.

My Gastric Bypass surgery is just less than 3 weeks away now!

See - I am in a way, doing all these "farewell" acts of food crimes.

Large Blizzards.
All You Can Eat Pasta Bowls.
Bottomless Fries.

And while no one has said it to me yet - there is a little voice that pops up when I see expressions come across peoples faces when I talk about eating the last few weeks:

"Aren't you going to miss this?"

And the truth is - no.  Not really.
Like with any life style change, you have to make modifications to your daily habits.
More green - less fried.  More fiber - less fat.  And so on.

There is a great article that talks about the Top 10 Myths About Bariatric Surgery (HERE) that goes over common misconceptions of the surgery.  The one I want to highlight tonight is #8:

"Myth #8: After bariatric surgery, you won’t be able to eat anything that tastes good.
Patients who undergo gastric bypass may need to avoid very sweet foods because it can cause side effects like dizziness and nausea. Patients who have a duodenal switch typically need to keep fatty foods to a minimum. However, many patients can and do eat their favorite foods after they recover from surgery. They just eat very small portions. Even if you can’t eat whatever you used to like, you may find that WLS provides you with the ideal opportunity to experiment and find new foods to enjoy."
Watching my parents first hand go through this surgery, I can say without a doubt that while some items are no longer on their menu (my dad is unable to handle rice, for example) they still eat a lot of the same foods they did before. Just in smaller portions. Like someone would who was on a diet, or just trying to live healthier.


See - in my head, I *KNOW* what I need to do. I just haven't had the success I need to get to that goal weight. I have never weighed under 155 lbs since I was 14 years old. I have not seen single digits in clothing in my adult years (even at my lowest weight, I was still a 10/11).


I am being given a tool, and I plan on utilizing it to its fullest potential.
I am being given a new chance to really shine, and I plan on blinding you all.


So when I choose to have that doughnut with my breakfast sandwich in the next few days, it's not because I'm never going to eat a doughnut again (Tim Hortons and I are BFFs when I go to Canada -*Tim Hortons as mini doughnut holes - we are going to be best friends in about 6 months from now!). It's only because I know this will be the last time I can eat so poorly without my tool revolting against me ;-) And I am VERY okay with that.

Thanks for reading,


Nichole

Be The Thermostat - Not The Thermometer

No comments:

Post a Comment