Monday, October 6, 2014

Honest Reviews - Isopure

I thought a fun new segment in my blog would be to do reviews.  I have come into late tons of new ventures and products, so I wanted to share back out to my readers what I thought of them.
In this post, I will give the Honest Review of:

Isopure Zero Carb Protein Drink



With my upcoming weight loss surgery, I will be living on liquids and had read in some support groups how much they enjoyed this one.

On my lunch I went up to a local supplement store to scope out some protein powders and came across a bottle.  I selected the Alpine Punch, as their only other option was Apple Melon.  According to their website, they do have other flavors available (Passion Fruit, Pineapple Orange Banana, Icy Orange, Grape Frost, Blue Raspberry, and Mango Peach).

The cost after tax was just over $3.50 – it is a little pricy for just one drink, but if it was a meal replacement or supplement of sorts I could justify the cost (cheaper than a Starbucks fully loaded with sugar too).  From what I researched online, this is the median price.  Through Amazon it was closer to $5.50 a bottle (!!!!!!) but on sale at GNC for $2.50 (now that’s a price that appeals to my frugal nature).

So let’s break down the nutritional facts:
No carbs/sugar.
40 grams of protein (second ingredient on the bottle is Ion Exchange Whey [Milk] Protein Isolate).
No Aspartame.
No Preservatives.
Gluten Free.
160 calories per 20 oz. bottle.
Fat Free.
80mg of Sodium.
45mg of Potassium.
6% of your Calcium needs per 20 oz. bottle.

It seems almost too good to be true.  A fruity punch with no fat, sugar or carbs.  No Preservatives.  Little calories (compared to soda or fully-loaded sports drinks).  I was pretty skeptical …
Then I tried it.  I had my friend Danielle drink some too, to make sure a true opinion was formed.

The flavor wasn’t bad!  I was very impressed … very much like a Crystal Light, but maybe a little more watered down.  There was an after taste, but similar to an after taste you’d have from a protein heavy shake.  And the after taste went away after a bit too.  Danielle felt the same way about it tasting good and the after taste – but nothing that would turn you off from drinking this.

It even tasted sweet!  This is what surprised me the most, so I went to read the rest of the ingredients:

Ingredients: Filter water, Ion exchange whey (milk) protein isolate, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose, polysorbate 80 (According to the Google results, “polysorbate 80 is a nonionic surfactant and emulsifier”), phosphoric acid (According to the Google results, “phosphoric acid is a mineral acid having the chemical formula H₃PO₄. Orthophosphoric acid molecules can combine with themselves to form a variety of compounds which are also referred to as phosphoric acids, but in a more general way”), FD&C red 40 (According to Google results, “Allura Red AC is a red azo dye that goes by several names including: Allura Red, Food Red 17, C.I. 16035, FD&C Red 40, E129, 2-naphthalenesulfonic acid, 6-hydroxy-5--, disodium salt, and disodium 6-hydroxy-5--2-naphthalenesulfonate”)

I liked that for the most part, there was very little ingredients!
However, I already know that my friends and readers who are not a fan of additives like Red 40, etc. will be turned off by this drink.  Me personally I am no bothered by this, so this drink is on my good side!

It took me a while to finish my drink.  As light as it was, it kept me full – which will be perfect for post-surgery (and even beyond).  I thought how fun this may even be frozen into a popsicle tray!

VERDICT
Overall on a scale of 1 to 5 slurps – 5 slurps being “AMMMMMAZING”



And 1 being “EW!”
I give this a 3.5 – I would want to try other flavors to see if it held up as well when it came to taste.  The Punch though gets a strong 3.5 from me, and I look forward to adding a few into my post-surgery diet (maybe I’ll freeze one for Thanksgiving dinner … lol).

What do you think of this drink, if you’ve already tried it?  Or are you interested now that you’ve read my review?  Come back to chime in once you do try it!  Got any other suggestions as alternatives as well?

To check out more products or information on Isopure Protein Drink, visit their site.

Looking forward to sharing more brutally honest reviews with you in the future!

Thanks for reading!


Nichole
Be The Thermostat – NOT The Thermometer!

PS - Unless I state it, I am not Paid or Compensated by anyone when I do these reviews.  I will give proper kudos and such to those who maybe pass along products for me to try or review :-) In most cases though, it's just me wanting to give a brutally honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment