Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Are You Ready For Some Football??



It's true.
I am a football nut.

I love the game ...
I love the atmosphere ...
I love the beer ...

Growing up, I rebelled against it.  Just as I had rebelled against pink ... country music ... and other things that I felt were "uncool".  What a silly preteen I was!

Now, I love watching football on Sunday's with the family.  We don't have cable at the moment, but I am seriously contemplating getting basic HD back.  It's a terrible time, considering that my husband just got laid off.  Yet I know how much we both miss watching football on Sunday.  I am almost thinking about making it Josh's birthday present this year (ha, ha).

This year, I choose to do something new.  I was invited to participate in two fantasy football leagues this year!  As I write this even, I am in the midst of my 2nd draft.  I went in a little less prepared than I wanted to - yet my good friend Michelle helped me out with the hook up on a great research forum.  Plus, the help of my hubby & even the drafting sites themselves (I have one league that is using www.fantasy.nfl.com & the other is using espn.com).

Both drafts were snake style, with my 1st league allowing 90 seconds and my 2nd league allowing 60 seconds for each pick.  I felt I got lucky with my first draft, having 14th pick (out of 14 people).  So my picks were back to back!  The 2nd league, I also did pretty well with my luck!  I ended up with 2nd pick (out of 12) so I got one of the first picks, and my picks are pretty close together.

Each draft, had the same #2 pick: Seattle Defense.  I was lucky enough to snag them for my 2nd league - my original game plan was go get my top RB.  After I saw how quickly the D was picked up in the 1st league though, I didn't want to take any chances and I snatched them when I got the chance!

My 1st league is with my co-workers.  The name of my team is "Jalapeno Business!"

"What does a nosey pepper do?  It gets Jalapeno Business!"
This joke served as the inspiration for my team name.
 
The smack talk was running around, but it was in all good fun (when you're playing with your boss, gotta refrain a little!)  Here are the top picks for my draft in the 1st league:
 
1. Drew Brees, NO-QB
2. Seattle Seahawks Defense, SEA-DEF
 

3. Adrian Peterson, MIN-RB
4. Russell Wilson, SEA-QB
5. Marshawn Lynch, SEA-RB
6. Adrian Foster, HOS-RB
7. Ray Rice, BAL-RB
8. Doug Martin, TB-RB
9. Andrew Luck, IND-QB
10. C.J. Spiller, BUF-RB
11. Jamaal Charles, KC-RB
12. Aaron Rogers, GB-QB
13. LeSean McCoy, PHI-RB
14. Reggie Bush, DET-RB **My pick

Reggie Bush wasn't my my top choice, but he was in the top 5.  So I went with it - random choice, in a way.  Considering he wasn't even in the top 5 for the nfl.com top picks.  Yet I felt he was going to be awesome this year.  So I went with my research, and my gut!  I think going with my gut/feelings is half the fun of this, anyway!

The rest of my team for "Jalapeno Business" is:

QB - Jay Cutler (CHI)
RB - Mark Ingram (NO)
RB - Reggie Bush (DET)
WR - Golden Tate (SEA)
WR - Greg Jennings (MIN)
TE - Jermaine Gresham (CIN)
W/R - Denarius Moore (OAK)
K - Josh Brown (NYG)
DEF - Chicago Bears
BN - Jake Locker, (QB - TEN)
BN - Jonathan Stewart (RB - CAR) *He is on the D/L right now ... doh!
BN - Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR - IND)
BN - Rob Gronkowski (TE-NE)
BN - Adam Vinatieri (K - IND)
BN - San Diego Chargers (DEF)

Most of my choices I felt great about - except for my Jonathan Steward pick.  Doh!

The 2nd league I'm playing with is with my south end friends (including my best friend, Tricia!)  The name of this team ..............
Yup.
I went there (ha, ha, ha)!!



This group of friends and family is a pretty open minded, so my team name fits quite well!  They should be a hoot to play with.
Here was the top picks for this league's draft:


1. Adrian Peterson, MIN-RB      
2. Seattle Seahawks Defense, SEA-DEF
 
**My pick
3. Marshawn Lynch, SEA-RB
4. Adrian Foster, HOS-RB
5. Aaron Rogers, GB-QB
6. Drew Brees, NO-QB
7. Golden Tate, SEA-WR         
8. Doug Martin, TB-RB
9. Ray Rice, BAL-RB
10. Jamaal Charles, KC-RB
11. Alfred Morris, WSH-RB
12. C.J. Spiller, BUF-RB

It didn't surprise me that a lot of the same players were in the 1st round for both leagues.
My team line up turned out like so:


QB - Robert Griffin III, aka RGIII (WSH)
RB - Reggie Bush (DET)
RB - Darren McFadden (OAK)
WR - Sidney Rice (SEA)
WR - Cecil Shorts (JAC)
TE - Kyle Rudolph (MIN)
W/R - Miles Austin (DAL)
K - Josh Brown (NYG)
DEF - Seattle Seahawks
BN - Jake Locker, (QB - TEN)
BN - Mark Ingram (RB - NO)
BN - Denarius Moore (WR - OAK)
BN - Heath Miller (TE-PIT)
BN - Julius Thomas (DEN)
BN - Garrett Hartley (K - NO)
BN - Baltimore Ravens (DEF)

RGIII was a risky choice.  I feel that he's got something to prove, and that he's going to come out swinging this year (pun totally intended!)  I hope he follow through.  If not, Washingtonian Jakey boy better step up (he's on both of my team's back up ...)

Overall, I feel that my team in my work league is a little more balanced ... but I like the risks I've taken with my 2nd league.  I will keep everyone posted as each week passes.

Do you participate in a fantasy football league?  Do you have any strategies ...  good luck charms ... traditions?

I look forward to reading your comments!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Nikki
"Be The Thermostat - Not The Thermometer"


No comments:

Post a Comment